Well the big 5-0 is here. I’m a bit freaked out about it. Not so much in an age way, but in a “how the hell did this happen?” way.
Seriously, how did this happen. Fifty! I still think of myself as about 28 or 32, maybe even 35. Thirty-five was a big year. Life changing. Speaking of which I can’t believe 35 was 15 years ago.
My children have grown up. My grandbaby is growing up…she’s 5 and in kindergarten. Smart and sassy and it seems like she was just a baby last week.
When I turned 49 last year I had a huge sense of “better do it now” and spent a good portion of the year pondering what I really wanted to do with my life. By July I had quit my job to go full-time in my Web design business. That decision is going into the one of the best decisions ever column.
I’m embracing the 5-0 now. It’s a new chapter. A wonderful chapter that is completely mine to write. My kids are grown. I’m free and single and only need to make myself happy. Yes some days that feels like “oh God I’m all alone.” But what an adventure I can have.
I saw a 35 things before I’m 35 list the other day and thought wow I missed the boat on that one.
I decided to write a list of 50 things I want to do during my 50th year. Some are already planned and some I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I hope I can get to 50.
Thauna’s Awesome List of 50 Things for an Awesome 50th Year
Take the kids to Disneyland for Christmas Stay at a Disneyland Hotel
- Paint a wall a bright color
- hire a cleaning service
- Go to Italy for a couple of months for a working vacation
- Finish War & Peace
Meet my income goal for 2015
- Hang art in the family room
Create some vinyl word art for the dining room
- Create some vinyl word art for my office
- Paint and refurbish my old, vintage dresser
- Organize the garage
- Donate a lot of stuff from the garage
Rework my work space Decorate my office
- Learn the 1000 most frequency used Italian words
- Describe my work and business in Italian
- Small Italian conversations
- Find or start an Italian meetup for my level
- Finish a quilt
Organize my bookshelf Donate half of my closet – in process
- Paint the powder room
- Paint the laundry room
- Put together a puzzle
- Read one classic from my list (besides W&P)
Take one class or workshop a month Blog projects monthly (quarterly)
Launch an online eCourse
- Create a WP theme for photographers
- Create 1 Ready to Rock design a month
Take JaNiyah on a movie/dinner date alone
- Go to Antelope Island
- Write my mission statement
- Paint a wall in my bedroom
- Practice Italian everyday
Start walking Make a vision board for 2015 See Cinderella in the theater with the girls
- Make pasta and fresh sauce for friends
- Have a dinner party
- Go on a 3 day weekend by myself
- Buy a fancy perfume
- Visit one of Utah’s National parks
- Go to Jackson Hole…see the Tetons
Drive a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway Go to the movies more than once this year Try 4 new restaurants
- Go to the aquarium
Go to the zoo
Whew! I’ll come back and cross off the ones I accomplish.
Cheers to a year that is happy, healthy and full of fun and adventure.